A+ A-

Current Investors in the Bauxite Sector

  1. ALPART Jamaica Limited

Alumina Partners of Jamaica (ALPART) has its bauxite mining and alumina processing plant located at Nain, St. Elizabeth, in the south of Jamaica. Its current production capacity is approximately 1.7 million tonnes of alumina annually.

The company was first established in the early 1960s under the union of three companies (Anaconda, Kaiser Aluminium and Reynolds Metals). Since then it has undergone several partnership and ownership changes, the last of which took place in 2011, resulting in the company being 100% owned by UC RUSAL Ltd.

The Alpart plant was closed in 2009, owing to a downturn in the prices of alumina on the world market. 

  1. JAMALCO

Located in Halse Hall, Clarendon, JAMALCO is an unincorporated joint-venture association.  Having had many ownership structures, in 1988, the Government of Jamaica acquired 44 per cent of, then pert-owner, Alcoa's shares through its subsidiary, Clarendon Alumina Production (CAP), created in 1985.  JAMALCO is currently an unincorporated joint venture between Noble Resources Limited (55%) and CAP (45%). 

The current production capacity of the alumina refinery at JAMALCO is 1.45 million tonnes per annum.

  1. WINDALCO

West Indies Alumina Company (WINDALCO), formerly Jamalcan, was up until 2014, an unincorporated joint venture between the UC Rusal and the Government of Jamaica, with UC Rusal being the majority shareholder (93%) and the Government of Jamaica owning the remaining 7% interest.  The Government of Jamaica sold its 7% interest in WINDALCO to UC Rusal in 2014.

WINDALCO owns two alumina plants at Ewarton Works in St. Catherine and Kirkvine Works in Manchester.

Today, through the combined capacities of Ewarton Works (670,000 tonnes) and Kirkvine Works (610,000 tonnes), WINDALCO’s production capacity stands at 1.28 million tonnes of alumina per year.

Depressed international market conditions for alumina occasioned the closure of both plants during the first half of 2009.  Ewarton Works however resumed refining operations in 2010, while Kirkvine Works remains closed.

 

Current Bauxite Producing Enterprises

 

  1. Noranda Jamaica Bauxite Partners

Noranda Jamaica Bauxite Partners, is a partnership between Noranda Bauxite Limited (NBL), a Jamaican limited liability company, and the Government of Jamaica. Noranda Bauxite Limited has a 49% interest in the partnership and the Government of Jamaica owns the remaining 51%.

The Government of Jamaica permits Noranda Bauxite Limited to mine bauxite in Jamaica through 2030.  Bauxite is mined at St. Ann and the ore is transported via railway to Port Rhoades. There, it is dried and shipped to its customers. A considerable portion of the bauxite mined at St. Ann is shipped to the Gramercy refinery in Louisiana, where it is refined into alumina.  

 

Top